Baldry Veterinary House Call Services offers winter safety advice for pets to ensure your pet is safe this winter season. Keep in mind that if it's too cold outside for you, it's probably too cold for your pet, so keep your animals inside. This will prevent frostbite, hypothermia and other conditions.
Exposure to winter’s dry, cold air and chilly rain, sleet and snow can cause chapped paws and itchy, flaking skin, but these aren’t the only discomforts pets can suffer. Winter walks can become downright dangerous if chemicals from ice-melting agents are licked off of bare paws.
The following are steps that you can take to keep your pets healthy and happy this winter:
- Never shave your dog down to the skin.
- Feed your pet more calories during winter.
- Bathe your pets as little as possible during cold spells.
- Never leave your pet alone in a car.
- Use pet specific boots to protect their paws on walks.
- Dry off paws after walks.
- and more!
For more information on the pet winter safety advice listed above, or other winter safety advice for pets, contact Baldry Veterinary in Barrie, Ontario.